On September 13, 2023, the Texas Veterans Commission (TVC) Fund for Veterans’ Assistance (FVA) presented $1,840,000 in grants to nine organizations for providing services to approximately 1,840 East Texas veterans and their families.
The FVA grants awarded include:
- Ark Tex Council of Governments: a $5,000 grant for financial assistance
- Cass County: a $300,000 grant for financial assistance
- Community Services of Northeast Texas Inc: a $300,000 grant for financial assistance
- Deep East Texas Council of Governments and Economic Development District: a $235,000 grant for home modification
- East Texas Council of Governments: a $250,000 grant for transportation programs and services
- East Texas Veterans Community Council: a $250,000 grant for support services
- Habitat for Humanity of Smith County: a $200,000 grant for home modification
- Northeast Texas Habitat for Humanity: a $200,000 grant for home modification
- The Salvation Army – Lufkin: a $100,000 grant for financial assistance
The grant presentation was made by TVC Vice Chair and Air Force veteran Kimberlee Shaneyfelt at Habitat for Humanity of Smith County in Tyler. Vice Chair Shaneyfelt, in blue blazer, is shown below presenting the grants.
Funding for these grants is generated primarily by the Texas Lottery Commission’s games designated for veteran support. Other sources of funding for the grants come from individual donation options on drivers’ licenses, licenses to carry a handgun, outdoor recreation licenses for hunting and fishing, and vehicle registrations.
Veterans in need of assistance can find organizations providing help in their area and how to contact them at https://www.tvc.texas.gov/grants/assistance/ .